Its ornate Victorian ironwork canopies have earned it Grade II listed status.
They were restored in 2012, and the station now provides a venue for a weekend "flea market", book fairs, craft displays, coffee shops, restaurants, exhibitions and other events.
The other three faces hold the honour roll for those lost during both World Wars. DM O'Herlihy was named as the original designer but a press report stated that a Mr Steele designed the monument and credited O'Herlihy with preparatory works on the village green.
Maintaining transport links between Tynemouth and Newcastle is Tynemouth Metro station, originally opened in 1882 as a mainline station catering for the thousands of holiday-makers who flocked to the Tynemouth beaches.
Located on Huntington Terrace, Kings Priory School (formerly The King's School) is a co-educational academy with over 800 pupils aged between 4 and 18.
Though founded in Jarrow in 1860, the school moved to its present site in Tynemouth in 1865 originally providing a private education for local boys.
Sunshine levels of 1515 hours per annum are in the normal range for the coastal North East, which is also true for the relatively low amount of precipitation at 597.2 millimetres (23.51 in).
In the late 18th century, sea-bathing became fashionable in Tynemouth from its east-facing beaches.
Formerly a fee-paying independent school, in 2013 the school merged with the comprehensive Priory School to become a state academy.Longsands is the next beach to the north, an expanse of fine sand 1200 yards long, lying between the former Tynemouth outdoor swimming pool and Cullercoats to the north.In 2013, Longsands was voted one of the best beaches in the country by users of the world’s largest travel site Trip Advisor. Plummer, it was unveiled on 13 October 1903 by William Brodrick, 8th Viscount Midleton.King Edward's Bay and Tynemouth Longsands are very popular with locals and tourists alike.Prior's Haven is a small beach within the mouth of the Tyne, sheltered between the Priory and the Spanish Battery, with the Pier access on its north side.Former King's School was named in reference to the three ancient kings buried at Tynemouth Priory: Oswin, Osred and Malcolm III.